[FOSS4G2016] [Program] Accept/decline email draft

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 06:28:56 PDT 2016

Hi Gert-Jan,

On 04/27/2016 03:19 PM, Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl wrote:
> Hi Volker,
>
> Five comments:
> 1. Please add the (approximate) numbers: 280+ proposals for 180 slots.
> Especially for the declined ones it's good to know that they aren't the sole one out.

That will be part of the guidelines.

> 2. Referring to the guidelines only makes sense if we can link to the actuela guidelines we used in 2016. Linking to the old 2014-guidelines and promising an update is a bit strange.

I'd prefer having a link, but I don't have the time for it before
sending out. Hence I'll do it afterwards (better than never).

> 3. I think the "please forgive us" phrase is a bit over the top. It's as if we made some horrible mistake. Just skipping it, and stick to the "You're awesome. Your proposal was awesome. We just couldn't accept them all." is sufficient.

Sounds good to me (remember that it was from the FOSS4G 2014 in
Portland, hence using american lingo :)

> 4. I'd like to encourage the declined speakers a little bit more to join us at FOSS4G. My proposal:
>
> "You're awesome. Your proposal was awesome. We just couldn't accept them all."
> Nevertheless, we'd be glad to see you at FOSS4G. Not just the talks, but also the keynotes, workshop, code-sprints and side-events. And above all the opportunity to meet old and new friends is worth the trip to Bonn.

Thanks for the input, but I think I rather keep it short.

> And one thing to keep in mind: As part of the conference we are staging a "speakers corner" where anybody can take the stage to do a short (approx. 5 minutes) talk.

I guess the speakers corner is different from the demo theatre?

> 5. When sending out this mail, keep in mind that some presenters have both an accepted and a declined proposal, so they might receive 2 mails with 2 different messages.

Or even more, depending on how many talks were submitted.

Cheers,
  Volker