[FOSS4G2019] Abstract submission system

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 11:37:46 PDT 2018

Hey Bloc,

as (hopefully) all of you know, I volunteer to take care of the abstract
submission this year. The system I'll be using is Pretalx [1]. It has
several reasons:

 - It's in Python and I love coding in Python
 - It's open source
 - It will also be used for this year's FOSSGIS conference (the German
speaking OSGeo chapter)
 - We can get a hosted instance, which puts off load from the Bloc. Tthe
hosting service is by the main person developing it. So it's a win-win
situation as it makes sure the system will get further development. It
directly feeds back into the open source development.

I has two runs through the system. I think it already does what we need.

Though I only had a deeper look at the abstract submission part yet, as
that's the most important one. There the perhaps only thing is, that I'd
like to change that the speaker can't provide information about their
availability. So far I think we've always required that the speakers are
there for the full conference. Of course there's exceptions, but we also
shouldn't make it too easy as scheduling is already hard enough without
this additional factor.

Besides that I'd like to make it possible to sign in with a 3rd party
account (GitHub and Twitter), without the need to create an account (you
can of course create an account if you like).

So these are the first few steps, I just wanted to give a quick update.

[1]: https://pretalx.com/

Cheers,
  Volker