[Fundraising] Prototype Income Projection

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Aug 22 12:07:03 EDT 2006

dear all,
On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 11:44:26AM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Income_Projection

This is a shiny future picture...
> Obviously it is optimistic in some regards, but I think it is not
> completely unreasonable, and for the purposes of 501(c)3 application
> should demonstrate a diversity of support.   In the meeting I hope we can
> find tune it a bit.

I would like to muddy the waters a bit more by reminding you of some
of this discussion about nonprofit status + financial management:
https://board.osgeo.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=board&msgNo=1129

501(c)3 really may not be the way to go - it invokes a 1/3 public
support test - and a lot more administrative attention and enthusiasm
apparently - than the 501(c)6 which is a "trade association" and may
be much more like what the foundation needs - and would enable the
pursuit of multiple largish sponsorships. I would like to know what
kind of advice are we taking / can OSGeo take on this topic?

cheers,

jo