[Fundraising] A.W. Mellon Foundation funding

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 28 09:59:59 EDT 2006

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Hi all,
> At OSCON, staff from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation talked to
> volunteers at the OSGeo booth.  They indicated that that we could apply
> for research funding.  Their program [1] and criteria [2] could easily
> fit with one of our projects - in particular, the education and geodata
> projects.  But likely also in software projects that could be, for
> example, adapted into more of an educational context.  That is based on
> my assumptions reading their documents.
>
> I will try to get more information from someone who was at OSCON and met
> the foundation reps (I was already corresponding with one of them).  But
> in the meantime, I want to pass it over to the fundraising committee to
> consider.
>
> Is this something you can or likely will pursue?

Tyler,

I must say, the Mellon Foundation criteria seem very compatible with our
position.  But it isn't clear to me that such proposals would come from the
fundraising committee.  Instead I see them put together by folks from the
affected projects, and/or in cooperation with something like the education
committee.  If we want the proposal to come from OSGeo I think that can be
arranged.  But it might also make sense for a consulting company, or
individuals to put together a proposal and OSGeo offer some sort of
letter of support.

Best regards,