[Fundraising] First Meeting - May 9th

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Wed May 3 12:43:38 EDT 2006

Something else for consideration,

I think one of the best ways to get an organization to sponsor (in
particular smaller organizations) is to provide a degree of marketing
benefit such as a restricted space for organization X to describe their
involvement in open source, and related services they might offer.

So for instance, an organization who provides application development
services around mapserver, mapguide, geoserver, etc... could state this,
experience, etc.. and include a link to their website.

This way we offer potential sponsors something very tangible, while not
compromising the arm's-length direction of the organization.

This allows us to tap into Marketing & Advertising budgets which tend to
be more accessible then Technology budgets where the direct benefit of
sponsorship would be less tangible.

It would also help raise profile and credibility for OSGeo through
sponsorship numbers.

Thoughts?

Dave