[fusion-dev] contributors agreements ??

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed May 14 11:26:47 EDT 2008

Given that one of our goals is eventual incubation into OSGeo, I would
like to be well prepared for the incubation process.  The most
difficult part of that process for existing projects seems to be the
code provenance review (where did all the code come from and do you
clearly have the right to include it in your project).

At this point in time, all the code in Fusion is copyright either DM
Solutions Group or MapGears (thanks Alan!).  As we are starting to get
more traffic on the lists, it is conceivable that we will start
getting bug fixes, patches, and new features contributed from outside
DM Solutions Group.  I would like to encourage this as much as
possible, while maintaining clear entitlement to use the code that is
contributed.

There are two models in use right now in the projects that I am
involved in.

One is to require a signed contributors agreement for anyone that
submits code (committer or not).  Patches, features etc coming from
anyone who has not signed a contributors agreement are not included.
OpenLayers uses this model.

The other is to have a committers agreement, whereby committers take
responsibility for the code they are committing to the repository.
They can accept user contributions and commit them if they feel the
contribution is sound.  MapServer uses this model.

On the other axis is whether or not to require a signed agreement
(OpenLayers) or just an acknowledgement of the agreement (MapServer).

I'm open on both issues, I would like to get feedback from the (now
growing) community of developers.  But I would like to put something
in place before we start getting a lot of contributions so we can
prevent some of the leg work required for incubation.

Cheers

Paul

    Paul Spencer
    Chief Technology Officer