[fusion-dev] Releasing 2.0 (but not as it is now)

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Jul 6 09:19:22 EDT 2009

Motivated by the flood of comments on your proposal, I thought I'd throw
my 0.02$ into the game as well.  ;)

Assuming that none of the 2.0 betas (or RCs if there was any) were
deployed at large, then I think your suggestion of restarting the 2.0
release cycle with the current state of trunk makes sense.

If any 2.0 beta or RC had been deployed then I'd suggest that you go
straight to 2.2 or 3.0 to avoid any confusion, but if that's not the
case then it's probably fine to keep calling the new release 2.0.

Daniel

Paul Spencer wrote:
> I'd like some feedback from folks on the following topic.  It seems the
> developers have pretty limited time for working on Fusion these days and
> I would like to maximize the effectiveness of folks contributing to the
> project.
>
> Right now, the 2.0 branch of fusion is partially released and contains a
> long list of bugs and known issues.  As things stand, the 2.0 beta
> release is very stale and not that useful.
>
> The trunk version fixes some of these issues with architectural changes
> like switching to OpenLayers vectors that were introduced after we
> started the release process for 2.0.  Normally, we would not consider
> introducing new features and architectural changes into a release that
> has already been started.
>
> I propose to essentially abandon the 2.0 release as it stands and start
> the release cycle over from the current state of trunk (effectively
> merging all changes from trunk into the current 2.0 branch).  We will
> then start the release process for 2.0 again by first updating
> OpenLayers and JxLib to the latest release versions (which will close
> some issues) and then tackling the high priority issues.
>
> There are quite a few issues in Fusion trac right now but we are also
> getting some contribution from the community in terms of finding issues
> and proposing fixes that we need to take advantage of.
>
> Comments and suggestions welcome
>
> Paul

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/