[fusion-users] Fusion + MapServer Function/Look Like MapGuide

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jul 15 08:07:31 EDT 2008

Hi Tim,

you can get a Fusion application to look essentially like that
application using mapserver.  The tiling capability on the client side
is implemented by OpenLayers, so there is nothing magically mapguide
about it.  However, there is no support in the ApplicationDefinition
to let you define a tiled mapserver layer.  We are working on
supporting all the OpenLayers layer types through the
ApplicationDefinition for the 1.1 release but this work has not yet
been done.

Even when the necessary hooks in Fusion are available, you will still
need something on the server side to generate the tiles.  You can use
mapserver to do this directly, but it is pretty inefficient since
mapserver will draw the same tile over and over again.  What you need
is something that will cache tiles for you and serve them from the
cache if available.  For this, we will be recommending either the
kaMap's tile.php or TileCache.

Cheers

Paul