[fusion-users] fusion 1.1 planning

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue May 6 12:59:09 EDT 2008

Hi,

We'd like to start planning for a fusion 1.1 release this summer
sometime.  I don't have a specific feature set or time frame in mind
for a release, but it would be nice to have it before FOSS4G (Sept
2008).

My primary goals for a 1.1 release are:

1) improve performance (and reduce library size),
2) take advantage of more OpenLayers features,
3) API cleanup and documentation

Currently, Mike is working on the following aspects (some are already
complete):

* upgrade to OpenLayers 2.6 final
* move from Prototype.js framework to OpenLayers equivalents (freeing
us up to move away from Prototype.js and Scriptaculous in the Jx
library)
* make more extensive use of OpenLayers handlers/controls in place of
existing widget code that does the same thing
* implement support for other OpenLayers layer types through the
MapGroup tag in the ApplicationDefinition
* improved single file builds (including a 'compiled application'
capability)

I will be working on a new version of Jx that will use MooTools
instead of Prototype.js and Scriptaculous which will give Jx a smaller
final size and more cinematic effects.  I will be updating Fusion to
use the new Jx for 1.1 as well.

The net effect of all these changes will be to reduce the size of the
code base (streamlining initial start up) and remove extraneous code
(probably not a noticeable runtime effect yet).

There will also be some bug fixes of course, but I don't see any
substantial work going into new widgets unless there are some new
contributors willing to get involved.

Cheers

Paul

    Paul Spencer