[fusion-users] Fusion not finding MapServer

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Tue May 20 18:36:41 EDT 2008

Hi Denise,

I would suggest you to install Firebug, the wonderful Firefox extension
who web developper (if you have not it yet). With Firefox and Firebug,
it's really easy to see where Fusion is blocking. You can see all ajax
request (if done) and their parameters and all scripts necessary to
Fusion (at page loading). Then, you'll be able to check if a script have
a 404 error, or ajax request are well made and the result of these
requests.

About the error you had, make sure you mapserv application has the right
permission. It must be readable (+r) AND executable (+x) from ANYONE.
Also, make sure you have php5 and not php4. I think Fusion needs some
php5 specific functionnality/module. If you have php4, you have probably
an error when the ajax request of "loadmap.php " is made.

If this does'nt help you, we'll check all other possibilty and we'll
make it works :)

Regards,
Alan

Denise MacLeod wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I'm new to Fusion and MapServer.
>
> I have followed the tutorial located on the website,
> http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion/wiki/MapServerTutorial and read thru
> various parts of the mailing list archive.
>
> I can see the map rendering on a webpage when it's just via mapserver
> (calling
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?mode=map&map=/home/denise/GeoSpatial/gmap-ms46/htdocs/gmap75.map
> <http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?mode=map&map=/home/denise/GeoSpatial/gmap-ms46/htdocs/gmap75.map>).
>
> When I load the fusion web page, I created from the tutorial,
> http://localhost/demo all I see is a simple 2 column table, without
> any data or labels.
>
> The index.html file  ---> I used the default from the webpage.
>
> The ApplicationDefinition.xml file ---> I used the default from the
> webpage, ensuring that mapserv executable was in the cgi-bin/mapserv
> path specified (it already was) and changing the MapFile line to point
> to my map file (same map file used above).
>
> However, when I attempt to use the fusion interface to view the map, I
> do not see any data.  Both the php.ini and fusion config file point to
> /tmp directory; and there are no errors logged in httpd/error_log.
>
> Another interesting point, I took executable perms off of mapserv (on
> purpose), and I did not receive any errors when loading the fusion
> webpage. I did receive the correct error when attempting to reload the
> mapserv page directly (error_log:  [Tue May 20 16:01:35 2008] [error]
> [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: exec of
> '/var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv' failed)
>

> Any ideas on why fusion is not calling the mapserver executable?  Any
> more debugging I can turn on?
>
> Thanks,
> Denise

Alan Boudreault