[gdal-dev] Re: Portability library

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at h...
Sat Dec 5 12:01:56 EST 1998

Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Frank,
>
> I have modified my OWT lib to make use of the new portability library,
> and by the same way had to make a couple of changes to compile under
> MSVC++:
>
> (For now I used the symbol WIN32 to tell which platform we are on. i.e.
> #ifdef WIN32 ...)
>
> - Replaced str*casecmp() with str*icmp() for WIN32
>
> - Avoid including <unistd.h> under WIN32
>
> And I also added 3 more functions to manipulate stringlists with
> Name=Value pairs.
>
> Finally, I checked in my changes remotely and it worked very well.
> (Yep! I did my checkin just a couple of minutes before going away for
> the weekend... some things never change ;)
>
> Anyways, I think that's a good start for the portability library!

Daniel,

Excellent!

I haven't really thought too much about approaches to portability, or how
to do builds on Unix, and Windows. I am thinking of depending on the
Cygwin user environment for Windows (includes bash, gnumake, cp, ...)
and to allow use of VC++, and gcc on Windows as target compilers. I want
to avoid the PCI approach of a #define'ed macro for each supported
configuration. I would like to learn more about the autoconf, and so
forth when possible.

Later,

Who can give them back their lives | Frank Warmerdam, Software Developer
and all those wasted years? - Rush | URL http://members.home.com/warmerda