[gdal-dev] Re: C/C++ Divide

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at h...
Wed Nov 18 10:30:02 EST 1998

Brian Koehler wrote:
> This whole discussion has got me thinking: wouldn't it be cool if there
> was a tool that took a C or C++ API and generated the appropriate
> C cover functions and whatever else was required to link up with another
> language such as C/Java/Perl/Python/Tcl. Something like:
>
> c++api_to_{C,Java,Perl,Python,Tcl} some_c++_api.h
>
> which would spew out all the required code which is a pain
> to do by hand now, not to mention boring.
>
> Anyway, I guess I'm getting off track. I hope this list doesn't
> have to be moderated now :-)

Brian,

Are you familiar with SWIG (http://www.swig.org/)? This is a tool for
automatically generating interfaces to C APIs from Python, Tcl, and Perl.
What it doesn't do is produce class-like interfaces from C++ classes. :-(

I would like to make the GDAL C API ``SWIG Friendly'' so that we can
easily maintain clean, up to date bindings in other languages.

> P.S. Frank, I haven't been able to access your site on your home
> computer (to see the source for example) in a long time, like following the
> link
> that was in the message that this a reply to. Is this just bad luck on my
> part
> or is there a bigger problem.

Are you saying the URL http://24.65.38.156/ doesn't work for you? I went
through some loops this weekend getting my second system working, and
assigned an IP number. It didn't go too well, but I have things working
now. A byproduct was that my IP number for my old machine changed, and
I don't even know if there is a real DNS name for it. So this is why
old links won't work, but the direct IP number approach should be working.

... pause while I look over configuration ...

I did just find that the web server was returning the old DNS name as it's
id and this may have caused problems. After changing this to the IP number
things seem to be working fine from io.pci.on.ca using Lynx.

Later,

Who can give them back their lives | Frank Warmerdam, Software Developer
and all those wasted years? - Rush | URL http://members.home.com/warmerda