[gdal-dev] RawDataset

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at h...
Fri Jul 23 16:14:24 EDT 1999

GDAL Folks,

I have implemented a RawDataset class. This is roughly equivelent to
RawDefine() and related stuff from GeoGateway (though much less complete).
Based on this I derived an EHdrDataset class to implement simple ESRI
labelled finary files. This can serve as an example for other simple
raster translators.

This was mostly for some guy on the net who wanted to be able to translate
DOQ files with an associated .hdr file to GeoTIFF.

I am very slowing working out arrangements with NASA for a development
contract that would support continued and substantial work on GDAL, with
gdal_translate being the interface they would use to provide raster
translation for the ELAS system. Perhaps as soon as this fall I would be
able to concentrate more energy directly on GDAL.

I am also currently implementing a simple OpenGIS Raster Coverage driver
based on GDAL. It should be ready for demonstration by Louis Bury at the
OpenGIS meetings in late August where discussion will be had on the proposed
OpenGIS Raster Coverages API specification.

Louis will apparently do the same for GeoGateway.