[gdal-dev] TIFF with multiple Directories & palette color images

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at h...
Tue Jul 11 08:29:34 EDT 2000

Pierre Grout wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's possible to read multiple Directories of a TIFF image with the GDAL
> ?
> And palette color images ?

Pierre,

Palette color TIFF files should be supported properly. You can use the
GDALGetRasterColorTable() to fetch back the color table, and there is an
API for getting the color entries back from that. Let me know if you encounter
any problems with this.

There is not currently any user accessable support for reading additional
directories in the TIFF file as separate images, though GDAL does know how
to build reduced resolution images for TIFF files (as additional directories)
and how to use them.

If you really need access to multi-page TIFF files let me know, and I can
enable it via a special encoding of the directory number in the filename. I
have done this in the past in a couple of other systems.