GDAL 1.1.1 Release

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at h...
Mon Sep 25 22:23:16 EDT 2000

Folks,

I have prepared a new GDAL source release, hereby dubbed 1.1.1.

The release files may be found at:

ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/gdal/gdal-1.1.1.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/gdal/gdal111.zip

Unfortunately I don't keep good ChangeLog records for GDAL yet, so
I can't really tell you whats changed, but changes include:

o Support for reading GRASS raster layers (via libgrass5).

o Improved GeoTIFF support, including auto-translation of 1bit files,
YCbCr and some other odd files into RGBA format on read.

o Addition of OGDI Raster Support (not in default builds because of
conflicts between OGDI PROJ.4 version and the current one).

o Added projection, and georeferencing support for PCI .aux format,
and Erdas Imagine format.

o Added Supported Formats documentation.

o Made some improvements for building. It mostly builds ok out of
the box with Cygwin, though the shared library stuff doesn't seem
to work properly.

There is also a build of linux binaries available with the following
information in the README:

ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/gdal/gdal-1.1.1_linux_bin.tar.gz

This build should be suitable for use with the new r.in.gdal I have been
working on for GRASS.

GDAL Linux Binary Distribution
==============================

It is suggested that libgdal.1.1.so, libgrass5.so, and libproj.so go somewhere
in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, perhaps /usr/local/lib, and that gdalinfo,
gdal_translate and gdaladdo go somewhere in the regular path, such as
/usr/local/bin.

libgdal.1.1.so depends on the C++ runtime library. If you don't have a
compatible version installed, you should be able to copy
libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 to the same place as the libgdal-1.1.so.

Documentation on supported formats can be found at:

http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/formats_list.html

This release include builtin support for JPEG, and PNG (doesn't require
separate libraries) as well as GRASS support. OGDI support is not included.

This release does include all of OGR built into the library (as per the
--with-ogr configure flag), including the OGRSpatialReference services
(partially dependent on libproj.so, and having the EPSG CVS files installed
-- not included).