[gdal-dev] libproj.so on Linux?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Thu Dec 27 02:24:06 EST 2001

Ben Discoe wrote:

> This is really a PROJ.4 question, but i figure that the GDAL list is
> probably an OK place, since it's an underpinning..
>
> I'm trying to run the VTP software (with it's GDAL/OGR/PROJ.4 dependencies)
> on Linux (Redhat 7.2). At runtime, it says "ERROR 6: Unable to load PROJ.4
> library (libproj.so)"
>
> I thought i installed PROJ.4 with the command:
>
> rpm -i PROJ.4-4.4.1-1.i586.rpm
>
> which worked, and the "proj" command is installed and does work. Is there
> some extra step necessary to make the shared library accessible? I didn't
> see anything about it on the PROJ.4 webpage or manpage.

Ben,

I think the problem is that the dynamic libproj.so loading in GDAL looks
for some entry points only found in more recent PROJ.4 releases. I would
suggest installing PROJ.4 version 4.4.4 from source (I don't link up to
date rpms are available).

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...