[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.1.5 Beta 1

Norman Vine nhv at y...
Wed Jul 18 11:19:49 EDT 2001

Frank Warmerdam writes:

>I have prepared a first beta for a hopefully soon to come GDAL 1.1.5
release.
>Anyone interested in a smooth GDAL 1.1.5 release is encouraged to download
>and try configuring and building GDAL 1.1.5.
>
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal-1.1.5b1.tar.gz
>
>Amoung other things I have done a bunch of work to ensure GDAL can be built
>fairly smoothly on Cygwin environments. I will prepare a more detailed
list
>of new features before a final 1.1.5 release.

Hi Frank

I managed to build this using the CVS Cygwin files using
./configure --without-python --with-grass=no --with-jpeg=internal --with-geo
tiff=internal --with-libtiff=internal

this should probably be mentioned somewhere in a readme
or did I miss something reguired inorder to be able to link successfully
with the Cygwin distributed libraries

Hopefull I will be able to figure out a python Distutils setup.py
to do the Python extension in a cross platform way.
< may take a while though >

Also I am a bit concerned that there may be problems using gdal
and Cygwin with a GUI because of the following from cpl_port.h

/* ==================================================================== */
/* This will disable most WIN32 stuff in a Cygnus build which */
/* defines unix to 1. */
/* ==================================================================== */
#ifdef unix
# undef WIN32
#endif

I believe the generally accepted way of doing this in the Cygwin community
is to do something more along the lines of

#if (defined(WIN32) || defined(_WIN32)) && !defined(__CYGWIN__)
do things ala WIN32 API
#else
// do things POSIX way
#endif

This allows the use WIN32 or _WIN32 as flags to be used when wanting
to use the Windows GDI and still use the Cygwin POSIX layer.

I am more then willing to do some or all of the 'grunt' work required
if I knew what we wanted.
< this might be a showstopper for a Cygwin OSSIM wxWindows combination >

Thanks

Norman