GDAL, OGR and Shapelib

Ben Discoe ben at v...
Thu Jul 19 01:56:23 EDT 2001

Before moving to GDAL, my code was using Shapelib; now i suspect that i
don't have to link with an external Shapelib anymore, since Shapelib can be
(is?) compiled into GDAL. However, the necessary headers (e.g. that define
'SHPObject') aren't in the GDAL 'distribution', only in the CVS files.

I presume that OGR encapsulates Shapelib, so one way would be port my
Shapelib code to use OGR instead, but that introduces a lot of overhead -
Shapelib is far simpler and more direct.

Advice? Could the Shapelib classes be added the GDAL-exposed headers?

Thanks,
Ben