[gdal-dev] Arc/Info Ascii Grids?

Ben Discoe ben at v...
Mon Mar 12 19:01:28 EST 2001

> > I recently found a nice source of Canadian DEMs here:
> > http://renres.gov.yk.ca/pubs/rrgis/data/data_desc/90m_dem.html
> >
> > They are in "Arc ASCII GRID Format"
>
> I have added read-only support for Arc/Info ascii grid files. Is that
> sufficient?

That is sufficient, particularly if it reads those Yukon DEMs.

> I was impressed with the software and other material available at
> VTerrain.org and I hope you will keep make further suggestions
> for cooperation and cross-fertilization.

Definitely. The VTP software is embarassingly weak in areas which GDAL
appears to be very strong, so it looks like a natural match.

Today i was able to download and build GDAL. It produced three (?) outputs,
gdal.lib (>6 MB!)
gdal_i.lib (117K)
gdal11.dll (2 MB)

I did not find a Readme to explain these. I presume that the _i is the link
library for the the DLL, and that gdal.lib is the static library?

It would be preferable to use a binary distribution, so that my users don't
each have to compile GDAL themselves, so i looked at the "Binaries of the
GDAL" from the site. It appears to contain a DLL and sample executables,
but not the headers, so people can't build their apps to use the DLL (?).

Thanks,
Ben
http://vterrain.org/