GDAL organization chart

Ben Discoe ben at v...
Tue Mar 13 01:45:06 EST 2001

> From: warmerda at s...
>
> Charting is a weak point for me. [...]

OK, i have attempted to draw a quick chart, following your description.
Since i have not spent time the code itself, i'm sure it is inaccurate:
http://vterrain.org/Misc/Chart1.png

The big dotted box for GDAL is everthing that i'll expect to find in GDAL,
i.e. what you mention is in the same CVS tree, can be built into a single
library. The dashed lines to Shapelib and around OGR indicate that they are
optional.

One particular point is MITAB. I have drawn it as: The MapInfo part of OGR
uses MITAB, MITAB in turn calls parts of OGR. Is it so? Must MITAB be
built as a separate library? Is a version of it included with OGR, or with
GDAL?

> In case you didn't notice, I _do_ like point form.

Then i guess you'll like vterrain.org, it's 200 pages of hand-edited point
form notes - although the point form is trying to maintain a sense of
structure, when there often isn't one :-)

-Ben