Any hope of getting TAB-support on GDAL?

Petri J. Riipinen petri.riipinen at n...
Mon Sep 24 12:39:12 EDT 2001

Hi folks,

I got quite a load of TIFF files, which unfortunately don't contain
georeferencing inside the file, see:
----------------------------
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Size is 4000, 4000
Coordinate System is `'
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left ( 0.0, 0.0)
Lower Left ( 0.0, 4000.0)
Upper Right ( 4000.0, 0.0)
Lower Right ( 4000.0, 4000.0)
Center ( 2000.0, 2000.0)
Band 1 Block=4000x2 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Palette
Min=0.000/0, Max=255.000/0
Color Table (RGB with 256 entries)
0: 0,0,0,255
<and more colors...>
----------------------

Fortunately with each file I got a corresponding .tab-file, see:
----------------
!table
!version 300
!charset WindowsLatin1

Definition Table
File "18M.tif"
Type "RASTER"
(3180000,6640000) (0,0) Label "Pt 1",
(3260000,6640000) (3999,1) Label "Pt 2",
(3260000,6560000) (3999,3999) Label "Pt 3",
(3180000,6560000) (0,3999) Label "Pt 4"
CoordSys Earth Projection 24, 28, "m", 27, 0, 1, 3500000, 0
Units "m"
----------------

I would like to use GDAL to read the TIFF-files but it seems that it
doesn't know how to use the .tab-file to set up the georeferencing. So, I'm
thinking of just opening the TIFF-file with GDAL and then parsing the
.tab-file manually and using the GDALDataset->SetGeoTransform according to
the points that are given in the .tab-file.

Do I really have to do that? I'm not sure about the other stuff in
GDAL-package, I've just used the GDALDataset and rasterbands so far, is
there some other stuff that I should be looking into?

- Petri
Petri J. Riipinen
petri.riipinen at n...