[gdal-dev] Any hope of getting TAB-support on GDAL?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Tue Sep 25 12:28:49 EDT 2001

Petri J. Riipinen wrote:

> Well, here I see one problem already. The coordinates in the TIFF-file (as
> shown by gdalinfo) are 0,0,4000,4000 for my files. Of course those are not
> geographically correct, the correct coordinates are in the .tab-file.

Petri,

This default georeferencing transform is automatic, and not derived from
GeoTIFF information. It will not take presidence over TFW or .tab info.

> So, I guess that to get some performance improvement should really read
> data into memory one file at a time and keep it there as long as needed and
> then just update the screen by copying blocks from the memory object into
> screen.

I think the existing GDAL caching should give you good performance.
You might want to play with GDAL's maximum memory for caching.

Using the FLTK image widget as a backing store for a larger area than the
display may help you reduce the amount of work you have to do reformatting
the imagery for each pixel step.

Good luck,

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...