[gdal-dev] any reason for a linked statically gdalinfo?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Mon Aug 19 13:01:34 EDT 2002

gdal_dev_reader wrote:

> Frank,
>
> in the apps/GNUmakefile i find:
>
> gdalinfo$(EXE): gdalinfo.o $(DEP_LIBS)
> $(CXX) $(LNK_FLAGS) gdalinfo.o $(XTRAOBJ) $(GDAL_LIBS) $(LIBS) \
> -o gdalinfo$(EXE)
>
> gdal_translate$(EXE): gdal_translate.o $(DEP_LIBS)
> $(CXX) $(LNK_FLAGS) gdal_translate.o $(XTRAOBJ) \
> $(CONFIG_LIBS) -o gdal_translate$(EXE)
>
> is there any special reason for gdalinfo to be always linked
> statically? all other apps seem to be linked dinamically when
> possible.
>
> i build libgdal.1.1.so as a shared library and dinamic link saves
> some disk space with no apparent (to me:)) loss:
> gdalinfo.static is 1139844 bytes
> gdalinfo.dinamic is 15896 bytes
>
> cheers,
> alessandro

Alessandro,

There is no compelling reason for gdalinfo to be linked statically. I
do that just so that I can verify that static linking still worked as expected.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...