Metadata domains in GDAL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Mon Jul 29 11:16:00 EDT 2002

Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> Frank,
>
> What is a puprose for ``metadata domains''? I want to fetch global dataset
> metadata when reading subdataset and store them in separate domain meanwhile
> subdataset's metadata will be stored in the default domain. Is it good
> application for domains?

Andrey,

You could use domains for this. Basically, domains are used to provide
additional namespaces for specific kinds of metadata, and a variety hacks.

It is anticipated that over time a bunch of specific domain values will be
given particular semantics, such as was done with the SUBDATASETS domain.

Other domains are used as needed. For instance the CEOS and Envisat drivers
allow applications to fetch raw record data (ascii encoded) via specialized
domains. This is an example of a "hack" based on metadata domains.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...