[gdal-dev] packaging gdal for debian

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Fri Jun 7 09:30:00 EDT 2002

Tom Parker wrote:
> VTK from www.kitware.com or public.kitware.com provides a tool for cross
> platform projects named Cmake (currently 1.4 beta) that it seems would be
> ideal for the gdal/ogr/proj/grass/... projects.
>
> You basically provide a list of *.c, *.cpp, *.cxx files, headers, libraries
> and hit the OK button. Cmake then builds your project files for you. It
> works great on my winders and linux boxes, has anyone else tried it?
>
> Why not use it??, it is released under the MIT license, same as GDAL/OGR
> right?

Tom,

"Why not use it?" - Ummm, inertia? Fear of being different?

I looked over the documentation and I must admit it is appealing to think of
having one core build system for MSVC and unix builds. However, I could likely
accomplish that with GNUmake if I was willing to add this as a dependency for
windows builds and I would need a pretty compelling reason to rewrite my whole
build structure.

> And after reading my own email I guess my next question is:
>
> Do any of your customers actually expect debian packages or an RPM? Mine
> freak if I don't deliver an InstallShield setup.exe file packaged project
> for winders. The only one who ever codes to gdal/ogr/proj is me. All I need
> are *.so/*.dll files for distribution.

None of my paying customers are looking for .debs or .rpms. For many I
deliver source trees, sometimes with "simplified" build mechanisms custom
to the customer. For others I deliver finished executables. I haven't needed
to deliver pretty installation programs so far luckily.

I see .deb and .rpm support as being primarily in support of those who use
GDAL as a whole - often with other products like GRASS, MapServer, OpenEV.
It is more aimed at popularizing use of GDAL than supporting my customers.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...