[gdal-dev] zlib security alert.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Tue Mar 12 11:47:36 EST 2002

Eric J. Peters wrote:
> Well, there's a problem with zlib:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2002-026.html
>
> and the zlib source is included in the GDAL tree. I have grabbed the patch
> from the RedHat SRPM, and attached it here for simplicity. Just save the
> attached file and do a 'patch .../gdal/frmts/zlib/infblock.c infblock.patch'
> and rebuild.
>
> I was curious to find this though. Why is zlib source included in this tree,
> instead of required and dynamically linked?

Eric,

I have applied the patch.

GDAL includes the zlib source because I prefer to have as much of the code
required for GDAL as possible within the source tree. Previously attempting
to build against installed zlibs resulted in lots of version issues.
However, it is still possible to configure GDAL to use the system zlib -
in fact, I think that is what configure does by default.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...