[Gdal-dev] utility usage

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 14 17:11:39 EDT 2003

Matt Lynch wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Ok, so it looks like I have what I need for most of it, except for the
> -mo option on gdal_translate.  What kind of key values can be put there?

Matt,

What you can use for the -mo flag depends somewhat on the format.  For
formats that support arbitrary user supplied metadata it could be anything
as long as the tag name is a well behaved token (no spaces or special
characters).  Some drivers only support very specific tags, and many
drivers that support writing images don't support writing any metadata
at all.

> Also with gdal_translate, it limits me to one band.  I am currently
> looking at batching a process where a 3 band image is translated one
> band at a time, then I use ImageMagick to recombine the bands and
> finally imagewarp to add the worldfile information (ImageMagick strips
> the headers on tiffs). Am I missing a gdal utility within the set that
> can recombine the bands for me?

There isn't currently a handy way of combining images.  For a process
like this I would encourage you to build a Python script which gives you
a more intimate level of access.