[Gdal-dev] Exception thrown in GDALOpen() function

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Sun Aug 3 11:42:00 EDT 2003

Frank -

Actually, I've always found GDAL to be one of the most "buildable" of
MapServer-related libraries on Windows.  Many of the distributions come
with Windows makefiles that are simply broken or hopelessly out-of-date.
For a long time the most annoying problems I had building under Windows
was with the regex-0.12 library, which was all of a few dozen lines of
code in one C file!

I have found that the bigger issues revolve around using the
multithreaded runtime libraries.  Many of the other default makefiles
for Windows (in other libraries) are pretty cryptic so it's not easy to
figure out how to do a multithreaded build.

I have had on my to-do list (for a while) a nicely constructed build
environment for MapServer and supporting libraries under Windows, all
built with the multithreaded libraries.  Now that 4.0's out the door, I
think I'll probably get around to it.

I wouldn't put the release/debug stuff at the top of the GDAL to-do list
- it's possible that I'll take care of it in the next few weeks anyway.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: (978) 251-4242  Fax: (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com