[Gdal-dev] Re: JPEG thumbnail

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 28 14:23:30 EDT 2003

Mike Anaya wrote:
> Hey Frank,
> I am building gdal on a windows environment using Microsoft Visual C++.  It
> would be great if you could modify the gdal_translate.  Would it be possible
> to have different combinations of bands displayed?  Example 3, 2, 1, or 4,
> 3, 2 something like that.  I know this may be asking for a lot.  I
> appreciate all the time that you are putting in on these little requests.
> If there anything that I could do, please let me know.  Thank you again,
> MIKE

Mike,

I checked in a change to gdal_translate so you can select multiple bands
for the output file.  So to create a false color composite in JPEG format
from landsat you might do something like:

gdal_translate -of JPEG -b 4 -b 2 -b 1 landsat.tif falsecolor.jpg

If you are building from CVS, you can update now and rebuild gdal_translate.
If you are working from packaged source, you can pick up the nightly snapshot
tomorrow.

The change was relatively minor, and local to gdal_translate.cpp.