[Gdal-dev] opening dataset of unknown type

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Fri Dec 5 11:34:27 EST 2003

I really like how you can program ogr to open a dataset without explicitly
laying out what type it is.  I assume it tries to open it with a list of
drivers until it succeeds, or fails altogether.  Is that right?

Can anyone tell me how you can identify which driver format was successful?
I'm specifically interested in how to do this in python.  I've got the
dataset open but don't know, programatically, what type it is.  I see
ogrinfo returns this information, but I'm not able to figure out how it
does it.

Tyler