[Gdal-dev] HDF-EOS format is supported?

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Fri Dec 5 14:09:19 EST 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 06:28:08PM +0100, Lorenzo Moretti wrote:
> I have many ASTER files. They are HDF-EOS format version 2.6. I have
> some software that read these file but I want to read from GDAL. GDAL
> is the library for many UNIX applications (MapServer, Grass, etc.). I
> have compiled gdal with HDF4 format but my format (HDF-EOS) is
> different from HDF4 standard, I think. Is this format supported from
> GDAL?

Yes, it is supported. You need the NCSA HDF4 library and don't need
HDF-EOS to compile GDAL.

> How much different from HDF4 standard?

HDF-EOS implements the higher level of abstraction on top of plain HDF4,
but it is not used in GDAL to avoid unnecessary external depends. The
part of HDF-EOS functionality simply implemented in the HDF4 driver.

						Regards,
						Andrey

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517