[Gdal-dev] USGS vs. ESRI vs. OGR

Grabowski, Hank hgrabows at stk.com
Fri Dec 12 08:44:24 EST 2003

I'm pulling the value for X and Y directly off of the ArcMap measuring
tool.  I zoomed into a point on a map that was drawn in the native
coordinate system of the shapefile (so there is no conversion) and then
entered those values into the website tool as you saw them.  To find the
WGS84 values I created a layer with the WGS84 coordinate system and then
added the data that had been converted by OGR into WGS84 and allowed
ESRI to auto-convert the data from the native shape file.  Again using
the measuring tool I got the exact measurement of the given point.  The
difference is quite visible without going into that much detail, but I
wanted to get quantitative differences to help diagnose the problem.  I
can try the same computation with the link you gave me in a previous
e-mail and move see what happens.  If you guys want I could post the
data, it's very small, on an FTP site for you guys to try and duplicate
the problem I'm seeing.

Hank Grabowski
hgrabowski at stk.com
1-610-578-1000
Experience the analysis and visualization power of STK 5.0 by upgrading
today! Order your free copy at http://www.stk.com to get started!