[Gdal-dev] convert GTIFF(NED) to BMP

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Mon Feb 3 13:30:25 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 10:10:15AM -0800, Ayman Kamal wrote:
> The geotiff file that I have is for NED data, which is
> supposed to be 32 bit floating point data, does this
> give you any hint?

Yes, BMP format does not support such data type, it is limited by the
8-bit depth. It is a bug that GDAL does not produce any error message
for such input. Tt is fixed now and your file will be rejected. You
should explicitly specify output data type with -ot switch and play with
-scale switch to properly adjust your data.

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517