[Gdal-dev] [RFC] RasterIO speedup patch

Tim Beckmann tbeckman at usgs.gov
Wed Feb 5 18:23:44 EST 2003

Frank,

Okay, I put it in bugzilla.  It is #281.

I still need to clean up the other changes a bit before I submit them. One
question for you.  When GDALCopyWords does data type conversions, it uses
memcpy for copying out a single data element at a time.  The only reason I
can think of why this would be done is that you're worried about being
given data buffers that aren't properly aligned in memory for platforms
that have such limitations.  Is this correct?  The next set of changes
assumes memory alignment is correct.  I can either try using memcpy and
see if it impacts speed in my changes, or I can make it one more special
case that the changes I've done are only used when memory alignment
constraints are met.  Actually, I can't think of a case where memory
wouldn't be correctly aligned when going through RasterIO.  But I suppose
someone could end up with incorrectly aligned buffers when calling
GDALCopyWords directly (but for efficiency maybe it should just error out
in that case and the driver should be fixed).

I agree that 1:1 IO should be as efficient as possible.  I won't be
worrying about the down/up sampling speed right now since it is a feature
we won't be using in the near future in LAS.  But the data type
conversions are something we depend on the I/O layer to do currently.

A regression test is a good idea.  We have a large one for LAS.  But right
now it only exercises our own LAS driver when we're using GDAL.  That will
change in the future (probably distant).

BTW, I should have mentioned that I work with April Shimitz and Lowell
Johnson who have filled you in a little on what we're doing.

Thanks
Tim

Tim Beckmann               tbeckman at usgs.gov
Software Project Lead