[Gdal-dev] Setup scripts for Python (win32 and Linux-rpm).

Cherkashin Evgeny eugeneai at icc.ru
Sat Feb 8 02:03:30 EST 2003

Hi, Frank!

>> 3. The script is not intended to be the sdist (source distribution)
>> creator, but binary packages for Linux (rpm) and win32.
>> 4. MANIFEST.in is used only to produce temporal source RPM package.
>

> I don't really understand what 3) and 4) mean.  What is a temporal
> source RPM package?

I mean, that setup.py is intended to be used to build ONLY binary packages.

>> How to use:
>> 1. Compile the GDAL library as regular.
>> 2. issue in the source root:
>> win32: python setup.py bdist_wininst
>> Linux: python setup.py bdist_rpm
>> Source RPM will contain libgdal.1.1.so and all the includes
>> (everything for building the python module) and should be ignored.
>> Consider the source distribution the original gdal sources with the
>> files included.
>

> OK, I tried running the "python setup.py bdist_rpm" command and got:
>
>   building RPMs
>   rpm -ba --define _topdir
> /debian/home/warmerda/osrs/gdal/build/bdist.linux-i686/rpm --clean
> build/bdist.linux-i686/rpm/SPECS/Python_GDAL.spec
>   -ba: unknown option
>   error: command 'rpm' failed with exit status 1

For me it is strange reaction.... -ba (it means build all, i.e. both
source and binary rpms). It is usual option. I use rpm-based
distribution inherited from Mandrake. I should find a RedHat
distribution to test. OK.

> What is the significance of the "-ba" option?  I would add that this
> is on RedHat 8.
>
> In any event, a dist/Python_GDAL-1.1.8.tar.gz was produced.  I tried
> unpacking this and doing a "python setup.py build" and things seemed to
> go fine.  I didn't try installing it though.
>
> Sorry, I guess the Python_GDAL-1.1.8.tar.gz would be suitable for
> distribution
> to Linux users who want to install GDAL just for use from Python, right?

Yes? but it will be not binary package, it requires compilation during
install.

> Where does it install libgdal.1.1.so?  Are there likely to be problems if a

It just copied in /usr/lib

> slightly different version of libgdal.1.1.so is installed elsewhere?  How

Probably. I can redo with statical linkong to _gdal...so.

> would I go about making a binary distribution that installed itself
> normally for stuff like binaries and shared data but also installed Python
> support properly on the platform?
>
> While I don't think I quite get how setup.py would be properly used, it is
> committed to CVS and we can work at this for future releases.
>
> Best regards,

Evgeny