[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate bsb files problem

Garvan Keeley garvank at optech.on.ca
Tue Feb 18 16:23:09 EST 2003

Hi,
I am having some problems using gdal_translate with BSB files.

I have two files that I have been able to open with a commercial viewer
(Caris Easy ENC) but are causing errors with gdal_translate.

File #1:
- no errors reported by gdalinfo
- gdal_translate does partial read, at about 80% through the processing, I
get these errors:
ERROR 1: Got scanline id 0 when looking for 7401.
ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 7400
ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 7400
ERROR 1: Got scanline id 0 when looking for 7401.
ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 7401
ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 7401
ERROR 1: Got scanline id 0 when looking for 7401.
etc.

File #2:
- gdalinfo and gdal_translate give this error:
ERROR 1: Failed to find compressed data segment of BSB file.
GDALOpen failed - 1
Failed to find compressed data segment of BSB file.

I have put the BSB files (along with some other files that aren't causing
problems) here:
ftp://ftp.optech.on.ca/marine/BSBfiles

Any tips on how I could troubleshoot these problems?

Thanks,
Garvan Keeley
Programmer/Analyst
http://www.optech.on.ca