[Gdal-dev] problems with OSR

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Sat Feb 22 09:54:39 EST 2003

I'm a newbie to gdal, osr, and gis in general. I'm trying to get things
set up so that we can use osr to create map projections for our
python-based blind mapping system
(http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/assist/bats/).

I have downloaded and successfully compiled gdal-1.1.8 on my
Windows2000 system. I also downloaded proj-4.4.5 and built it. I put
the proj.dll on my path.

Now when I try the following little python script that I'm using for testing:

import osr
src = osr.SpatialReference()
src.SetWellKnownGeogCS('nad83')

dst=osr.SpatialReference()
dst.SetProjCS("UTM 17 (NAD83) in northern hemisphere")
dst.SetWellKnownGeogCS('nad83')
dst.SetUTM(17, True)

xfm = osr.CoordinateTransformation(src, dst)

I get an error on the last line saying:

ERROR 1: Can't find requested entry point: pj_get_def

ERROR 1: Can't find requested entry point: pj_dalloc

Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong? I *thought* I had this
working a few weeks ago and I was just coming back now to document the
procedure to get a working version but I was either wrong then or have
done something wrong now.

Thanks for any help,
Gary Bishop
Associate Professor