[Gdal-dev] problems with OSR

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Sat Feb 22 13:29:31 EST 2003

Thanks,

I figured out that the version in CVS would work. I didn't interpret
the messages as warnings since they included the string ERROR...

The demo is a lot better with a game controller with rumble feedback. A
good sound card helps too.

We render the vector data using OpenGL and do our point and area
queries using OpenGL selection. For access to the vector data (all we
support right now) my grad student found a library to read shape files.
I forget its name. We can download shape files from the National Atlas
and our colleagues over at the Ancient World Mapping Center can easily
ship us there data in shape files.

I'm struggling to learn about map projects (messy stuff!). The maps
from the National Atlas appear to be in NAD83 (which is something like
latitude/longitude as I understand it). I want to produce a normal
looking map (say of NC) so it looks to me like I can use the functions
in OSR to get into another coordinate system that I haven't figured out
yet. Then we can work with the map in that coordinate system. I've read
about "State Planes". I'm thinking that is likely most appropriate for
state maps.

Thanks for the interest in BATS. Right now, kids who are visually
impaired are in 45 public school systems in NC. Almost all of them have
NO access to maps of any kind. When the sighted kids are doing a map
activity the kids who are blind have NOTHING to do. That drives me
crazy. We're trying to provide some small step toward fixing that.
We're going to give our software away with as many maps as we can stand
to make. Then we're going to try to make some tools to make it easy for
GIS cognizant teachers and school kids to make maps for kids who are
blind. Hopefully some map publishers will pick up the idea and provide
textbook maps in an accessible format.

gb