R: [Gdal-dev] Support for creating ENVI .hdr labeled files

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Wed Feb 26 08:31:02 EST 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 14:06, Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> Amici,
>
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:47:34PM +0100, Amici Alessandro wrote:
> > in addition to the WIP-items you mentioned i'd like to point out to you
> > one more useful item to implement:
> > an option to _append_ the '.hdr' extension to the full name i.e.
> > 	image.bin -> image.bin.hdr
>
> Sorry, it is not clear for me, what option do you want.
> ENVI driver produces two files, one with .img suffix and other with .hdr
> suffix. Base parts of names should be equal.

As a regular user of ENVI (from 3.2 till the recent 3.6) I've always had the
feeling that envi does not produce the .img suffix as default. If I save a
file as ENVI native file, the file does not get a standard extension and the
.hdr always has the complete binary filename (including its suffix) as
prefix. If you have a image.bin and a belonging image.hdr, envi will probably
not automatically associate the hdr file with the image.bin file. It would if
they were called 'image' and 'image.hdr', or 'image.bin' and 'image.bin.hdr'.

Ok I decided to check this last opinion I just wrote down before sending this
mail, and it appears to be not entirely right.
1. If you create a file with envi, the header file is the *complete* image
filename with a .hdr extension (so: image.bin.hdr, if you give image.bin as
file name)
2. However, if you have a image.bin and image.hdr, envi will recognize the hdr
file as belonging to image.bin. This also works for image.bla, but not for
'image.whatever.yoyo'. So it appears that envi simply tests 2 cases:
filename+suffix+.hdr, and filename+.hdr.
However, the default is what Amici is trying to tell us: image.bin and
image.bin.hdr (or without the '.bin').

In other words, imho Amici is right.