R: [Gdal-dev] Support for creating ENVI .hdr labeled files

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Wed Feb 26 10:08:22 EST 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 15:35, Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:31:02PM +0100, Vincent Schut wrote:
> > file as belonging to image.bin. This also works for image.bla, but not
> > for 'image.whatever.yoyo'. So it appears that envi simply tests 2 cases:
> > filename+suffix+.hdr, and filename+.hdr.
>
> Note, that ENVI driver recognizes both these cases as well.
>
> > However, the default is what Amici is trying to tell us: image.bin and
> > image.bin.hdr (or without the '.bin').

> instead of <filename>.img and <filename>.hdr. But does this really
> important? :-)

Well, to join the discussion really good now :-), it matters not really of
course, from the envi point of view. Envi will open your files, one way or
the other.
It becomes a different thing if you have written your own idl programs (envi
is written in idl) that automatically process some envi files and that do not
use the native envi open functions to open these files + headers, but have
their own opening functions that are a bit more specific.
I don't, I usually write these programs in C (+gdal) once I tested the
algorithm in idl/envi :-). But maybe others have...? Btw, I thought the .img
suffix was Erdas native/default, not ENVI's ? If you ask me, I think it might
be good to keep as close as possible to the native driver's format, in envi's
case: just add the .hdr suffix. But it is not a *real* problem, I directly
admit.