[Gdal-dev] Re: FW: OGR question.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 14 12:57:04 EST 2003

Jean ECARD wrote:
> Hello franck,
>
> The OGR integration begins in our software.
>
> First I want to thank you for your great work and your help. I'm very satisfied with
> the OGR Framework.
>
> In a second time I would like to know if any forum exists about OGR? I have some
> questions to ask, and sometimes, I need help (eventually I can provide some help too).
> Indeed, I don't want to disturb you any time I need help.

Jean,

Technically the sfcom-dev mailing list (referenced on the OGR web page) is the
forum for OGR but in practice I think the gdal-dev mailing list (referenced
on the GDAL web page) is likely the best place for OGR discussions.

> If no forum exists, I have only one question hoping this will be the last one: An
> OGRDriver can Open and create a OGRDataSource. Why OGSDriver can not Destroy(on disk)
> an OGRDataSource ? Do you believe that it is interesting? Indeed, I need it.

I would be willing to add a DestroyDataSource() method on the OGRSFDriver
class.  I presume you would pass the same sort of dataset name that is
passed to the Open() method, and that we would add a "capability" test
so that you could check to see if a driver supports the Destroy
method.

What drivers in particular would you like to see this implemented for?