[Gdal-dev] OGR TIGER driver now supports TIGER/Line 2002 form at

Mark Phillips mbp at geomtech.com
Thu Jan 16 14:38:52 EST 2003

> Confusing that some of the data released in 2002 is called 2000 and
> other data is called 2002.  Especially when the Census was taken in
> 2000.

I think there were actually 3 different variants of the 2000 data,
released at various times between 2000 and 2002, inclusive.  And the
data called 2002 wasn't actually released until 2003.  Yes it's very
confusing!

> As I said, OGR did have a few issues with the 2000 UA data.  But, I imagine
> that is a moot point now.

OGR will still read UA 2000 TIGER files (and several older TIGER versions
as well); it uses the version code in the files to figure out what
version it's dealing with.  While implementing the driver for the 2002
format I did fix a couple of minor bugs in the code that handles the
UA 2000 format, so you might get fewer errors if you reprocess your
files with the current version of the code.  The changes were minor,
though, so it might not be worth the effort.

--Mark

Mark Phillips @ Geometry Technologies LLC
P.O. Box 1170, Black Mountain, NC  28711
Phone: 828-664-1748
mbp at geomtech.com       http://www.geomtech.com