[Gdal-dev] gdal to proj4 translation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 24 14:26:24 EDT 2003

Alessandro Amici wrote:

> Frank,
>

>>Note that instead of explicitly handling PROJ.4 strings, you can just
>>instantiate an OGRCoordinateTransformation object with two coordinate
>>systems and it will take care of creating the PROJ.4 representations
>>internally where needed.  I would suggest you review the OGR Projections
>>Tutorial:
>>
>>   http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/ogrhtml/osr_tutorial.html
>>

> did i mention already that i love gdal and co.? especially the python
> bindings?

Alessandro,

Good to hear.

> BTW wuold the projection '+proj=geocent' be a special case for gdal/ogr?

Limited geocentric support was recently introduced in PROJ.4.  I don't
believe that OGRSpatialReference handles the geocentric WKT case for
mapping to/from PROJ.4 or other uses.  It would be logical to add this
at some point, though I generally have no use for it.   It would be a bit
of work, perhaps 4 hours, to do this properly though.