[Gdal-dev] large file support, gdal_merge with 8bit images (was: GDAL data model...)

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Mon Mar 3 10:38:33 EST 2003

Hannu -

I'm not sure I'm quite following what you need, but I wanted to offer a suggestion.

You're working with a large, tiled, sparse image data set via GDAL.  A while back I wrote a GDAL driver that implemented an interface to Microsoft TerraServer's large, tiled, sparse image data set.  Each "dataset" is an entire UTM zone at one-meter-per-pixel resolution, with overviews implemented for lower-res data.

I was planning to contribute this to the GDAL distribution once I got multi-threaded tile fetching complete, but then Microsoft added WMS server support to TerraServer and the GDAL driver became unnecessary.  If you'd like a copy of the code, I'd be happy to send it along.

One of the problems I had was with caching.  GDAL assumes a rectangular array of source data tiles and creates a matrix of pointers to keep track of what's in cache and what is not.  In my case, the cache pointer table was several hundred megabytes(!) when I only loaded a few hundred kilobytes of data.  I reimplemented the GDAL cache with a linked list mechanism.  It is a better choice if you're loading only a small portion of a very large dataset.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.