[Gdal-dev] Tiger Polygons

Thomas Hargrove ciagon at yourmom.sh
Tue Mar 4 22:45:04 EST 2003

> Thomas,
>
> I think you might find generating shapefiles for all the tiger coverages
using
> OGR and related tools somewhat tedious too.  In any event, the short
answer
> is that "ogr2ogr" will not take care of forming the polygons from tiger
data
> for you.  I am not entirely clear on why the polygons are that useful.
>
> However, I have juiced up an earlier example script I wrote for building
> polygons from edges for the TIGER/Line case.
>
> If you pick up the CVS snapshot of GDAL/OGR on Monday you should find a
> gdal/pymod/samples/tigerpoly.py script that builds a shapefile of polygons
> from a tiger coverage.  It depends on a variety of fixes and improvements
> elsewhere in gdal/ogr so please rebuild from the new source distribution.
>
> Currently the polygon shapefile file created has only the POLYID
attribute.
> Let me know if you want all the attributes.
>
> Best regards,

Thanks for the response.  I got the newest CVS of GDAL and installed it.

I had to add "#include <assert.h>" to  gdal_wrap.c to get python 1.5 to
work.

This is the error I get with either python 1.5 or 2.2:

[root at localhost ogr]# python tigerpoly.py in/ out/
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "tigerpoly.py", line 98, in ?
    ds = ogr.Open( infile, update = 0 )
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/ogr.py", line 107, in Open
    ds_o = _gdal.OGROpen( filename, update, None )
TypeError: OGROpen, argument 3: expected string, None found

Any ideas?

--Tom