[Gdal-dev] Save GeoTiff

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Wed Mar 12 10:50:30 EST 2003

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 16:28, Ayman Kamal wrote:
> I attach the file "fltinfo.txt" that contains the
> fltinfo for two images, the first one is a colored 256
> color image, the second is the same as the first but
> converted to gray scale.
>
> The colored one causes the problem, but the gray scale
> doesn't
>
> The program that complained about the colored image
> file is "3DEM"

Ayman,

I just saw your fltinfo.txt and would like to add my 2c to your thread:
For both of the images, you are using a datatype of 32 bit floating point. It
is very well possible that not all viewers can show a 3 band 32bit float
tiff? Maybe you could try to save it with outputtype byte. You won't need
32bit floating point anyway, if your data came from 256 color bmp... Saving
as byte would save you a lot of disk/memory space (and reading speed). You
could also try to save it as a 8 bit palette image, but I am not shure
whether gdal_translate can produce such a tiff file...

Regards,
Vincent Schut.