[Gdal-dev] Accessing Raster Attributes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 12 11:56:15 EST 2003

Oliver Wesp wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> what we like to do, is accessing the class_names attribute form ERDAS
> img-Files (hfa).  We thought  **GDALGetRasterCategoryNames(
> GDALRasterBandH hBand )  should to the trick, but it points to
> GetCategoryNames()  and this function returns null. Maybe we're on the
> wrong track anyway but this looks like it's not implemented.
>
> We would not hesitate to develop this by ourselfs but maybe this has
> done before or someone can point us to the right direction.

Oliver,

This hasn't been done yet, but would be a worthwhile improvement.  If you
want to implement this, you would need to override the default implementation
of the GetCategoryNames() method on the HFARasterBand class in gdal/frmts/hfa.
You can use the low level HFA API to get the category names from the Erdas
file though I don't know the structure off hand.   You can use the "hfatest"
application in gdal/frmts/hfa to dump the file structure to try and pick out
the location of the category names.

If this gets to messy for you, email me a small .img file with category names
and I will look into implementing it.