[Gdal-dev] OGR WCTS (Web Coordinate Transformation Service)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 31 10:52:40 EST 2003

Folks,

As part of a project with DM Solutions Group for Forestry Canada I have
implemented a WCTS (Web Coordinate Transformation Service).  This is a
prototype based on a specification still under development within the
OpenGIS Consortium ... not a published standard.

Basically the service allows a client application to submit XML requests to
a server to transform GML vector files into a new coordinate system.  It is
implemented as a cgi-bin using OGRSpatialReference and
OGRCoordinateTransformation classes (PROJ.4 is used under the covers).

I have a server running on my home system if people want to try stuff out, and
there is also an HTML form for those who don't like hand-coding XML HTTP
requests.

The code is all in gdal/ogr/wcts.

Side effects of this project include:
  o A re-implementation of the OGRSpatialReference XML import/export functions
    to match more closely with the GML CRS spec likely to be adopted shortly
    (03-010r3).
  o Implementation of NTv2 support in PROJ.4 for higher precision NAD27/83
    datum shifting in Canada.
  o A fairly detailed security audit to the "minixml" code in CPL, as well as
    support other library functions used to support the service.

More information is available at:

   http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/wcts/