[Gdal-dev] Filling a RasterBand with a constant value?

Simon Perkins s.perkins at lanl.gov
Fri May 2 16:32:29 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 13:13, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I have come to accept tight coupling in GDAL C++ applications to the library.
> The class data members, and virtual method tables change pretty much every
> week in CVS.  The latest example of this was my addition of the GDALDataset
> class level methods for RasterIO() on behalf of Keyhole I might add!  However,
> I try to be very circumspect about changing the argument lists of existing
> C functions, or of removing existing ones.  In some cases, like
> GDALGetDriverShortName(), I actually retained the C entry point and
> redirected it after the methodology of the C++ classes moved this info into
> driver metadata.

In my C++ code that uses GDAL, I now always use the C API, for this
reason. I was burned once before on binary incompatibility issues, using
the C++ API, so I switched all my code to using the C API, which is only
very slightly more verbose and has almost exactly the same
functionality.

I also disliked having to include a header file called gdal_priv.h to
get access to the C++ interface. It just felt wrong...

Cheers!

Sy