[Gdal-dev] Re: build gdal for mingw32 on cygwin

Simon Perkins s.perkins at lanl.gov
Mon May 12 12:17:15 EDT 2003

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Two sets is already one too many to do well.  What might be
> interesting is
> trying to extend the existing GNUmake based build to support non-unix
> like
> environments.  In this case we would have to dispense with running
> configure,
> and instead have more "canned" GNUmake.opt files or something similar.

This is a bit off topic, but for years I've wanted to see a true
cross-platform configure-and-build system. Something that did all the
jobs that autconf, automake and libtool are supposed to make easier, but
did so in a way that is (a) more easily portable to windows, (b) more
integrated - the synchronization between automake and autconf is very
iffy and you have to always worry about versions of those tools,  (c)
less cryptic - configure.in files are not exactly models of clarity
typically, and (d) works better with more languages and is more easily
extensible.

Is there anything out there already that does this that I've missed?
I've seen Jam, but from what I can tell it's more of an automake
replacement - I don't think it handles the complexities of configuration
and shared libraries.

If anyone wants to reply, maybe we should take this off list...

Sy